Engineers Australia has established mutual recognition agreements with Institutions around the world through which a member of such a body, on application, will be accorded an equivalent level of membership in Engineers Australia and vice versa. In some cases, the agreements cover more than one grade of membership and occupational category.
During his visit to Australia, IESL President Eng. Jayavial Meegoda met with Engineers Australia Sydney division President Julie Mikhail and Industry Partnership Manager Angela Crossland in Sydney. Eng. Dayantha Jayarathna and Eng. Ananda Herath attended the meeting and discussed the necessary steps to be taken to introduce the mutual recognition agreement to the membership. IESL NSW Chapter will take initiative to promote the benefits of the agreement among members.
Under this agreement, Chartered members of Institution of Engineers Sri Lanka are able to transfer your Chartered status to Engineers Australia.
As a condition under the agreement, formal academic qualifications must be acceptable to both bodies in accordance with the Washington, or Sydney Accord. Where academic qualifications are not acceptable under this agreement the applicant may be asked to submit a Competency Demonstration Report for assessment.
Following are the organisations Engineers Australia currently has mutual recognition agreements with:
Canada – Engineers Canada
Hong Kong – Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE)
Japan – The Institution of Professional Engineers, Japan (IPEJ)
Ireland – The Institution of Engineers of Ireland (IEI)
Korea – The Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning of the Republic of Korea (MSIP)
Malaysia – The Institution of Engineers, Malaysia (IEM)
New Zealand – Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand (IPENZ)
Singapore – The Institution of Engineers Singapore (IES)
Sri Lanka – The Institution of Engineers Sri Lanka (IESL)
- The Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE)
- The Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- The Chartered Institution of Building Engineers (CIBSE)
- The Institution of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (IMarEST)
- The Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE)
- The Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS)
- The Royal Institution of Naval Architects (RINA)
- The Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE)
- The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)
- The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- The Texas Board of Professional Engineers (TBPE)
Visit Engineers Australia website for more information