Sri Lankan News & Events
Sri Lankan News & Events
- Late Eng. B.D. Rampala Memorial Lecture – IESL commemorated the 109th birth anniversary of the Late Eng. B.D.Rampala at the Wimalasurendra auditorium of its Headquarters on Thursday, 14 November 2019 in the presence of a large audience. The memorial oration for this year was delivered by Eng. Gartain A Peiris and was on the theme “Harnessing Technology to make Sri Lanka a Developed Country.” Late Eng B. D. Rampala became the first native Chief Mechanical Engineer, in 1949, of the then ‘Ceylon Government Railways’ and went on to become the General Manager during the period 1955 – 1970, in what is now Sri Lanka Railways, and through his initiatives revolutionized the country’s railways and the way we live in. The IESL has the honour of having had Eng. B.D. Rampala as its President in the year 1958.
- The Annual General Meeting (2018/ 2019) of the IESL was held at the Nugasevana, BMICH, Colombo 07 on Saturday, 26 October 2019.
- IESL Young Members Technical Conference 2019 – Technical Conference of Young Members for the 113th Annual Sessions of the IESL was held on Saturday, 19 October 2019 at the Wimalasurendra Auditorium of the institution. The conference provides all young members of the institution a forum to present their technical papers and discuss engineering related topics with industry professionals. It is also aimed at promoting interaction among the young members of the profession providing a platform for broad basing their knowledge on specific subject matters. All Associate Members below 35 years of age and all Student Members are eligible to submit papers.
- The presentation of Technical Papers for 113th Annual Sessions was held at the IESL Headquarters on 17 & 18 October 2019. Response to this year’s call for papers saw an unprecedented number of abstracts and full papers being submitted, and the 114 papers that were finally accepted were published by the IESL as Technical Paper Transactions (Part B) of the institution and they were presented by the authors in parallel session.
- Prof S B S Abayakoon who became the inaugural Chairman of ECSL resigned with effect from 1 October 2019 to accept his new role as the President of IESL – session 2019/2020. Eng. WTR de Silva was appointed as the new Chairman of ECSL by HE the President, with effect from 15 October 2019
- E.O.E. Pereira Memorial Lecture 2019 – The IESL commemorated the 112th birth anniversary of Late Prof. E O E Pereira, considered as the Father of Engineering Education in Sri Lanka, on 16 September 2019 with a memorial lecture on “Cost Estimation is an Educated Guess” delivered by Eng.P H Sarath Gamini. The lecture was preceded by the lighting of the traditional Oil Lamp and garlanding of the portrait of the late professor by Eng. (Prof.) T M Pallewatta, President of IESL.