Sri Lankan News & Events
Sri Lankan News & Events
- Prof. R.H. Paul 39th Memorial Oration on Engineering Education, Training, Practice and R&D was conducted by Eng. (Prof) Sisil Kumarawadu on 10th February 2020 at Wimalasurendra Auditorium, Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka. The late legend Eng. Prof. R.H. Paul is considered to be the father of electrical engineering education in Sri Lanka.
- Professor Dayantha Wijeyesekera has been appointed the Chairman of the Tertiary and Vocational Education Commission (TVEC) by President Gotabaya Rajapaksa, in addition to his post as the Chancellor of the University of Vocational Technology (UNIVOTEC). He was the first vice chancellor of Open University of Sri Lanka in 1983 and was the vice chancellor of University of Moratuwa from 1999 to 2005.
- Young Members Section (YMS) of IESL has successfully concluded its first calendar event for the year 2020, “Meet the Engineer”. This was held on 11th January 2020 at IESL Head Quarters. “Meet the Engineer” program had two main sessions and the first session consisted of Educational Sessions by Senior Engineers and Industrial Experts while the second session was dedicated for presenting Annual Plans of Student Chapters.
- Call for Papers – 114th Annual Sessions – Technical papers were invited on 5 February 2020 under the following categories.
1) Engineering Theory/ Research (Academic) oriented technical papers
2) Technical Papers based on Engineering Practice/ Design/ Projects and Techniques
Schedule of Key Dates as follows.
Last date for receipt of abstracts – 31 March 2020
Notification of acceptance – 1-15 April 2020
Last date for submission of full paper – 30 June 2020
Proposed dates for Technical Paper – 19&20 October 2020
Best paper based on the marks given by referees and judges at the presentation will be entitled to the prestigious Prof. E.O.E. Pereira Award.
- The Council of the Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka (IESL), decided to provide an Amnesty Period of 6 months for those whose membership lapsed due to non- payment of membership fee, consecutively for more than three years. This special amnesty period is valid only from 16th March 2020 to 16th September 2020
- IESL announced on 24 March 2020 that all scheduled IESL events/ meetings/ public lectures/ PR interviews and other encounters have been postponed until further notice due to the prevailing situation (COVID-19) in the country.