IESL NSW Chapter Newsletter September 2019
1. Women in Engineering Day 2019
On Thursday 28th March, The New South Wales Chapter of Institution of Engineers Sri Lanka held its inaugural Women in Engineering (WIE) Day at the Harricks Auditorium of Engineers Australia in Chatswood.
2. Public Lecture : The Challenge of Technological Capability Imbalance: Strategic Perspectives for Emerging Economies by Eng. Dr K. Ramanathan
IESL NSW chapter organises a number of public lectures every year as part of the public lecture series. Eng. Dr K. Ramanathan Former Head of the United Nations – ESCAP Asian and Pacific Centre for Transfer of Technology (UNESCAP-APCTT) delivered a talk on The Challenge of Technological Capability Imbalance: Strategic Perspectives for Emerging Economies.
3. ‘Quality construction’ –A few lessons for Young Engineers by Eng. Janaka Seneviratne
“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intentions, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skilful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.” …
4. Engineering Conference and Gala Nite 2019
The IESL NSW Chapter Engineering Convention 2019 and Gala Nite were held in grand scale on Friday, May 24 and Saturday, May 25 at the Engineers Australia Auditorium at Chatswood and the Fairfield RSL Club, respectively.
5. Awards Presentation at the Gala Nite 2019
This year at the Gala Nite, awards were presented in many categories to honour outstanding achievements in engineering.
6. The IESL President’s visit to IESL NSW Chapter Convention 2019 May
The IESL NSW Chapter organised week-long activities for the visiting IESL President Eng. Prof. T. M. Pallewatta to have first-hand experience in the engineering practise in Australia.
7. Eng. Dr Palitha Kuruppuarachchi honoured with Public Service Medal on Queen’s Birthday 2019
Eng. Dr Palitha Ranjith Kuruppuarachchi was awarded the Public Service Medal (PSM) on 10th June 2019 for his outstanding public service to the New South Wales Police Force, particularly to network communications.
8. Public lecture: Cochlear Modelling: Future Directions by Professor Eliathamby Ambikairajah
As part of the IESL NSW public lecture series, Professor Eliathamby Ambikairajah did a public lecture on 16th June 2019 at UNSW Electrical Engineering Building. His topic was “Cochlear Modelling: Future Directions”
9. Public lecture: Impact of Engineering Interfaces in Bridge Design and Major Infrastructure Projects by Dr. David Jefferson
This public lecture was conducted by Dr. David Jefferson, Technical Principal – Bridges, SMEC Australia Pty Ltd. on Impact of Engineering Interfaces in Bridge Design and Major Infrastructure Projects. The lecture was held on 18th July 2019 at the Engineers Australia Auditorium, Chatswood.