IESL NSW Chapter Newsletter September 2018
1. Notice of the Annual General Meeting of IESL NSW Chapter 2018/2019
You are invited to the Annual General Meeting of the Institution of Engineers Sri Lanka, NSW Chapter, which will be held at Crestwood Community Centre Room 1 , No. 108 Crestwood Dr, Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153 on Sunday the 23rd of September 2018 at 2:30pm.
2. Varuni Fernando is contesting for a position in the Engineers Australia Sydney Division Committee
Varuni Fernando is actively involved in the IESL NSW Chapter Young Engineer’s activities and a very active member of Engineers Australia Sydney Division. She is keenly involved with her former school to promote young girls to pursue engineering as a career.
3. Drought Relief in an hour of need
The Sri Lankan community in New South Wales is collecting drought relief for the Australian farmers in NSW affected by the prevailing drought.
4. A Concise History Of Motive Power Development On Sri Lankan Railways
The earliest locomotives on the Ceylon Railways had been the ML (Main Line) Class steam locomotives of 4-4-0 wheel arrangement with inside cylinders (Refer Fig: 1). Imported from numerous locomotive builders such as Robert Stephenson, Kitson, Beyer Peacock and Dubs in the UK over the years 1864 to 1895.
5. IESL NSW Chapter Industry Visit 2018
This year’s industrial visit took place on Saturday 4th August 2018 to the NSW Rail Museum located at 10 Barbour Road, Thirlmere, NSW 2572.
6. IESL Public Lecture on Robotics held on 11th July 2018
The Australian population is estimated to reach 30 million by 2031 and 75% of this growth is expected to be associated with main cities. Although this provides unprecedented pressure on our existing infrastructure, it also extends a unique opportunity to improve, innovate and efficiently manage them through the use of high-end technology.
7. Late Engineer Kamal Fernando Memorial Lecture held on 22nd August 2018
The Late Engineer Kamal Fernando Memorial Lecture organised annually by the IESL NSW Chapter was held on 22nd August 2018 at Engineers Australia Auditorium Chatswood commencing at 6.30 pm.
8. Graduate Recruitment in TransGrid
TransGrid is now recruiting for the graduate training program.